A lot of people have asked me about the homemade smoothie protein and health shake I make. I’ve mentioned this smoothie shake in the past in the comments of various reviews I’ve written, but I thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated post where people could easily find it, if they were looking for a smoothie recipe that’s healthy and easy to make .
My smoothie recipe
- 1 orange – peeled of course
- ½ cup frozen blue berries (I don’t measure it that precisely)
- 2-3 frozen strawberries (can be more depending on the size)
- Frozen raspberries (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 scoop chocolate Dymatize protein powder
- Add water and blend
It takes me under 5 minutes to make this smoothie so it can be used for breakfast or whenever you like. This shake fills me up and doesn’t make me feel hungry for several hours.
The picture on the right is what it will look like when your finished.
The protein doesn’t have to by Dymatize or even chocolate for that matter. This is what I like to use. 1 scoop has 24 grams of protein and only 110 calories.
Here is my review of Dymatize Protein if you want more information about it.
Protein is good to use in smoothies because the protein helps to stabilize your blood sugar. This helps you from getting hungry. This is why many weight loss shakes contain protein.
The blender I use to make my smoothies is the VitaMix. Other blenders will work pretty much the same.
Other Smoothie add-ons
I’ve also used each of these ingredients in my smoothies too:
- 1 scoop Quaker Oatmeal (this thickens up the shake)
- 1 pack of Yoplait Triple Berry Smoothie mix (½ pack works too)
- Baby carrots
- Baby spinach
- 1 scoop chocolate Muscle Milk. To me, Muscle milk tastes good but 1 scoop ads 150 extra calories, so it’s up to you.
Don’t be afraid to experiment to find what you like. Use my recipe as a guide and change it to suit your tastes. There are many smoothie recipes out there. Being healthy and tasting good is what it’s really all about.
Would you add anything else? What’s your recipe?